Command for Stopping Notebook Evaluation?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19215] Command for Stopping Notebook Evaluation?
  • From: siegman at stanford.edu (AES)
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 02:53:03 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

The problem here is finding an easy, preferably keyboard-driven way to
select and evaluate a range of cells starting at the beginning of a
notebook and going part-way through it, using just a few keystrokes, and
without having to carefully select the range of cells with the mouse.

A quick and convenient way to initiate evaluation of an entire notebook,
at least on a Mac, is

   ctrl-A   (Select All Cells)
   Enter    (start evaluation)

But how can one insert a "Stop" cell down in the notebook, just after
the desired range, that will stop evaluation at that point, including
deselecting the remaining cells?

Inserting a cell with Abort[ ] doesn't do this -- evaluation of the
following cells continues.

One can insert a cell with Pause[some_large_number] and then hit
"ctrl-dot" (abort evaluation) to deselect the remaining cells.

But is there no "Stop[ ]" command to accomplish the same thing w
ithout operator attention?