Re: Mathematica Link for Excel and Excel 2000

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19264] Re: Mathematica Link for Excel and Excel 2000
  • From: Joseph Yoon <jyoon at Princeton.EDU>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 01:24:20 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

It would help if the link to the zip file was correct. There is a space before
www.episoft.com that should be removed.

While we're on the subject, I've seen no explanations from WRI as to why the
changes that were made from v3 to v4 cause so many applications and notebooks to
"break" and the reasoning behind them. From the docs:

A.13.4 Incompatible Changes between Version 3 and Version 4

61 new builtin objects have been added, some of whose names may conflict with
names already being used.
N[0] now yields a machine precision zero rather than an exact zero.
FullOptions has been superseded by AbsoluteOptions, which yields results
in the same form as Options.
Element[x, y] or a now has builtin evaluation rules.
The symbols I and E are now output in StandardForm as a [ImaginaryI] and
[ExponentialE] respectively.
A new second argument has been added to CompiledFunction to allow easier
manipulation and composition of compiled functions.

Is the last incompatibility causing most of the problems? Getting info about
bugs and "incompatibilities" from WRI has never been easy.