Re: Gaussian PDF Overlay

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19283] Re: [mg19277] Gaussian PDF Overlay
  • From: BobHanlon at aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 01:45:11 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Lawrence,

Use a GeneralizedBarChart:

Needs["Statistics`ContinuousDistributions`"]
Needs["Statistics`DataManipulation`"];
Needs["Graphics`Graphics`"];

dist = NormalDistribution[mu = 4., sigma = 2.];

xmin = mu - 3sigma; xmax = mu + 3sigma;

plt1 = Plot[PDF[dist, x], {x, xmin, xmax}, PlotStyle -> AbsoluteThickness[2],
      DisplayFunction -> Identity];

nbrSamples = 1000;
data = RandomArray[dist, nbrSamples];
nbrBins = 10;
step = (xmax - xmin)/nbrBins;
freq = BinCounts[data, {xmin, xmax, step}]/nbrSamples;
midPoints = Table[xmin + step(k - 1/2), {k, nbrBins}];

plt2 = GeneralizedBarChart[Transpose[{midPoints, freq, Table[1, {nbrBins}]}],
      DisplayFunction -> Identity];

Show[{plt2, plt1}, DisplayFunction -> $DisplayFunction];

Bob Hanlon