QUESTION (EigenVectors)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19369] QUESTION (EigenVectors)
  • From: clangis at chat.carleton.ca (Christian Langis)
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 23:09:43 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi there.

I am a a computer science student; and that is probably why
this question may seem deprived of any chalenge to you. But it
is quite challenging to me.

The question is: how do you extract the 1st EigenVector from a
3x3 matrix (and optionally 2nd and 3rd)?

I read a solution which forces the person to extract the 3
roots of a 3rd degree polynomial. And this has to be done by
hand of course.

Hence, it is possible to compute that manually. But I am rather
looking for an algorithm do carry this task, a solution which
does not involve any manual evaluation (such as root extraction).

Therefore do you know any algorithm/source code to do that (or
know where to find it)?

thanks