RE: Tricky Symbolizations with the Notation Package

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19340] RE: [mg19308] Tricky Symbolizations with the Notation Package
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 23:09:27 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Jason Harris explained why the Notation palette
doesn't provide a simple way to do things like:

Symbolize[Subscript[x,_Integer]]

or

Symbolize[Subscript[_Symbol,_Integer]]

As part of that message Jason said:

-----------------------------------

I could as the designer try and second guess what particular trickiness is
required by the user. However, it is better to set up a fairly general and
robust set of primitives whereby the user can create with (not too much
trouble) what he /she desires. As we see
from the forgoing it was fairly easy to set up the symbolizations required.

----------------------------------

The designers of MS-Office and turn key systems often try to make things
easy on users by providing a simple way to choose from several formats or
modes.  When they take this approach they seldom provide the choice that I
really want.  On the other hand Wolfram Research normally use the approach
Jason described.  That is why you can program Mathematica to do almost
anything you can imagine, and it's one of the reasons why I think
Mathematica is fantastic.

Regards,
Ted Ersek

For Mathematica tips, tricks see