I can't believe it ...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19412] I can't believe it ...
  • From: "schatzi" <antoine.zahnd at iprolink.ch>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 13:57:21 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I can't believe it ...

The + and * operators are overloaded (UpValues) for some structure
(elements of finite field).
My NormalQ routine uses the Det (System) on a square matrix of such
elements, and EVERYTHING WORKS fine.

BUT, as soon as I try to insert NormalQ into a package:

BeginPackage["FiniteField`"];

NormalQ::usage=
  "NormalQ[a_?FFelemQ] calls Det ...";

Begin["`Private`"]
NormalQ[a_]:=

(* reach this point *)
m=Det[m];
(* never there *)

End[];

EndPackage[];

The computation of Det gets endless ...
( Of course there is no shadowing of Det ... )

Could somebody explain me what is wrong ?

Antoine Zahnd.