Re: getting rid of TraditionalForm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19495] Re: getting rid of TraditionalForm
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 15:53:17 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7q2134$q9q at smc.vnet.net>, Henrik Weimer <henrik at rice.edu> writes:

>A while back I changed the default cell type for inline expressions to
>TraditionalForm. Now, I regret that choice and would like to convert all
>inline expressions in a lot of text that I typed in the meantime to
>StandardForm.
>
>I figured that I can do this automatically - most of the time.
>
>In mathematica I use the following:
>
>n = << "notebook.nb"
>nn = n/.{FormBox[a_,TraditionalForm]->a}
>nn >> "convertedNotebook.nb"
>
>The problem is that this only works on some but not all notebook. In
>particular, for some of the notebooks this seems to screw up the file
>syntax and the front end gets stuck reading the converted notebook.

Right off hand, I can't think of any reasons why this replacement
operation should fail.

I wonder if the Put[] (>>) operation isn't writing out something that
is confusing the front end.  As a diagnostic, before writing the
new expression to a file, try evaluating NotebookPut[nn] to see if
the front end can understand the notebook expression.  If that works
evaluate a NotebookSave[] on the NotebookObject returned by
NotebookPut[].

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com