Re: Directory of the open notebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20941] Re: Directory of the open notebook
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 01:50:09 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 21 Nov 1999, P.J. Hinton wrote:

> In article <812ahm$1h8 at smc.vnet.net>, "Tom De Vries" <tdevries at shop.westworld.ca> writes:
>
> >I was wondering how to find out the directory of the
> >selected notebook?
>
> This little snippet will return a string with the full path to the
> notebook, provided that it has been saved to a file.
>
> DirectoryName[
>   ToFileName["FileName" /. NotebookInformation[EvaluationNotebook[]]]]
>
> NotebookInformation[] is documented in Glynn & Gray, I believe.

One little compatibility note needs to be brought up.  The code shown
above should work for Mathematica 4, but in Mathematica 3.0.x under
Windows, you will need to do something a little different:

ToFileName[
  First["FileName" /. NotebookInformation[EvaluationNotebook[]]
] /. $RootDirectory->""]

The reason is that the 3.0.x front end and kernel have different ideas of
what $RootDirectory should be.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com