Re: help - saving an eps file for latex

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20998] Re: help - saving an eps file for latex
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 21:41:12 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <822h2c$7lj at smc.vnet.net>, psalzman at landau.ucdavis.edu writes:

>i have a Mathematica figure i'd like to put into a latex document:
>    edit | save selection as | EPS
>
>and it saves the eps file just great.   however, when i compile my latex
>document, i get the following message:
>
>' TeX output 1999.11.23:1502' -> eddy.ps
>dvips: Font Math1Mono used in file clipboard.eps is not in the mapping file.
>dvips: Font Math2Mono used in file clipboard.eps is not in the mapping file.
>
>and there's a file called
>	missfont.log
>
>that contains
>mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1+120/600 --dpi 720 cmr17
>mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi 600 cmr17
>
>the figure looks great except the y axis label
>   \frac{\sqrt{1 - \epsilon^2}{1 + \sqrt{1 - \epsilon^2}}
>
>gets printed such that the square root symbol gets turned into a series of
>exclamation points.
>
>can someone please advise me what to do?  i'm using Mathematica 4.0 on linux 2.2.13.

You need to configure DVIPS to find the Type 1 versions of the Math
fonts on your system.

Section 6 of the DVIPS manual:

ftp://labrea.stanford.edu/pub/dvips/dvips.ps.gz

discusses how to add support for additional fonts.  This is exactly
the material you're looking for.

Some recent versions of DVIPS have exhibited difficulty in downloading
(embedding) subsets of the Math fonts.  For minimal difficulties, you
may want to invoke DVIPS with partial font downloading disabled.  You
can do this with the "-j0" flag.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com