Databases and Java

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21047] Databases and Java
  • From: ERIC SPAHR <espahr at home.com>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 23:51:13 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I don't know if this is the proper forum for these questions but...I
have gotten answers here that I haven't from the parent(?).
	1) Any ideas how the reported project of direct Mathematica to
databases is going?  (Most of my data is in DB2 and right now I am
pulling it to files and importing into M v 4.  Obviously not a
production solution.)
	2) Even more off base: I heard that someone was working on a Java bean
for connecting to M...Any word on how that is progressing?  I'm sorry,
but I refuse (see earlier postings) to try to decipher yet another
protocol like MathLink.  I would like to see something that allows me to
use Java to dynamically input both algorithms and data into the
Mathematica kernel and return it to the Java application or applet.
	Obviously question 1 and 2 are related, so...
	3) If both are "working" which is faster?