Cutting and pasting table to ascii file

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg21060] Cutting and pasting table to ascii file
  • From: Joel Cannon <jcannon at jcannon.washjeff.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 23:51:24 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi:

I have been trying to paste a table from a notebook to an ascii
file. I am using  Mathematica 4.0.  In older versions, I could
display a 2-d list using TableForm, highlight the table and paste the
table into a text file and it would paste as nice columns of
data.

Right now I am attempting this and  find that all the formatting
symbols are being pasted into the text as well like what is shown
below. I am using unix and pasting into a text file which I am
editting with emacs. In the past I was also working on other computers
(still unix and X) so that might possibly be part of the difference.

\!\(\*
  TagBox[GridBox[{
        {\(a[1, 1]\), \(a[1, 2]\)},
        {\(a[2, 1]\), \(a[2, 2]\)}
        },
      RowSpacings->1,
      ColumnSpacings->3,
      RowAlignments->Baseline,
      ColumnAlignments->{Left}],
    (TableForm[ #]&)]\) #!

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Joel W. Cannon                   |   (724)223-6146
Physics Department               |
Washington and Jefferson College |
Washington, PA 15301             |