RE: BracketingBar for output

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15768] RE: [mg15717] BracketingBar for output
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 02:03:49 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Peter Breitfeld  wrote:
_______________
In my "personal package" I have the function Betrag[x_]:=Sqrt[x.x]

Now I want that in cases where this function can't be evaluated, the
output in StandardForm is displays as |x|. (left and right
BracketingBar, these symbols you get when entering `ESC l| ESC' and
`ESC r| ESC'.

To make it more clear (I hope :-)) I want the following behavior

In[1]  Betrag[foo]
Out[1] |foo|

but

In[1]  Betrag[{2,2,1}]
Out[1] 3

_________________________

This should do it.

(***** Code Begins *******)
Betrag[x_List]:=Sqrt[x.x];

MakeBoxes[Betrag[expr_],StandardForm]:=
  RowBox[{"\[LeftBracketingBar]",
    MakeBoxes[expr,StandardForm],"\[RightBracketingBar]"
  }]

Regards,
Ted Ersek