Re: Finding real part (newbie question)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15770] Re: [mg15722] Finding real part (newbie question)
  • From: Carl Woll <carlw at fermi.phys.washington.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 02:03:51 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Gnalle,

The mathematica function you are looking for is ComplexExpand. For
example,

ComplexExpand[ Re[1/(a + I b + 1/(c + I d))], TargetFunctions->{Re,Im}]

The option TargetFunctions->{Re,Im}

is not necessary, but it usually helps produce the output you are
looking for. Without this option, Mathematica will think that Abs[a+b
I] does not need to be simplified/expanded.

You might also want to throw in a Simplify[] command on your output.

Carl Woll
Dept of Physics
U of Washington