Re: Q: Why can't I stop TraditionalForm dismissing Times Attributes ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15814] Re: Q: Why can't I stop TraditionalForm dismissing Times Attributes ?
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 03:25:41 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Fabien Boniver wrote:

> In order to do some formal computations, I need Plus and Times not to be
> Listable.

Instead of modifying Plus and Times (which can be problematic) why not
program the infix symbols CircleTimes and CirclePlus to do what you
want?

In[1]:= CirclePlus[a_, b_] := f[a, b] In[2]:= CircleTimes[a_, b_] :=
g[a, b]

where f and g can be any function you want.  They have no built-in
attributes and have TraditionalForm input and output so you should be
able to easily program them.

Cheers,
	Paul

The University of Western Australia            Nedlands WA  6907
mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au  AUSTRALIA
http://www.physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player