escape-sequences in strings

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15849] escape-sequences in strings
  • From: Timo Felbinger <timof at uranos.quantum.physik.uni-potsdam.de>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:40:10 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I am currently working on a front end (in C) for Mathematica, which
passes user-defined input via mathlink to the Mathematica kernel for
evaluation.

It works fine for most input, but if there is a double-quoted string  in
the input which contains escape sequences, funny things happen:

 '"hello\\world"'   will return  'hello\\world'

 '"hello\nworld"'   will return  'hello world'

 '"hello\world"'    will return nothing and seems to freeze the kernel

 '"hello\"world"'   will return a syntax error

 '"hello\"world\""' will return '2', a linefeed, and '  hello world'

In these examples, everything enclosed by single quotes is to be read
literally (ie all double quotes and backslashes were sent as is).

The input was transfered via MLPutString as an argument of
EnterTextPacket, and the results are the payload of a RETURNTEXTPKT,
received via MLGetSTring.

This behaviour seems to contradict what the mathematica book says  about
escape sequences inside double-quoted strings. What am I missing here?
Is the front end responsible for the expansion  of backslash escape
sequences, and if so, in what way?

BTW, where can I find the "MathLink Reference Manual" which is cited in
Todd Gayley's mathlink tutorial? The "DeveloperGuide.nb" on my
Mathematica CD isn't really helpful.

Timo

--
Timo Felbinger   <Timo.Felbinger at quantum.physik.uni-potsdam.de> Quantum