Re: Evaluate/Module

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16106] Re: Evaluate/Module
  • From: Mark Fisher <mefisher at bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:25:01 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Bernd,

I don't think Module is playing a central role here. Rather I think CompoundExpression
is. The FullForm of (a; b) is CompoundExpression[a,b].
It has the attribute HoldAll. When you write (a; Evaluate[b]) you have told
Mathematica to find out what b is *before* starting to execute the progam (a; b).
Thus if you write

tmp = x^2+1;
(tmp = tmp-1; Evaluate[tmp]) --> (tmp = tmp-1; x^2+1)

Of course, when you check tmp afterwards, you find that it is x^2 now.

When you change your code to

tmp = x^2+1;
(tmp = tmp-1; l = Evaluate[tmp])

the second argument in the CompoundExpression has the head Set, not Evaluate and hence
it does not get evaluated "out of order". You see that both tmp and l are now set to
x^2. If you had instead written

tmp = x^2+1;
(tmp = tmp-1; Evaluate[l = tmp])

you *would* have forced the evaluation of the Set statement before the reassignment of
tmp. Afterwards you will find that tmp is x^2 but l is x^2+1.

Thinking about your example helped me sharpen my understanding about this stuff:
Thanks.

--Mark.