model boat hull design methods

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16096] model boat hull design methods
  • From: Jay Gallivan <jay_gallivan at PaineWebber.COM>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 08:24:56 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Spring isn't so far away that I can't start thinking about doing
something I meant to do last year....

The background....

I'd like to build model sail boats with my two boys. Rather than buy
kits, I'd like to design a hull. What I have in mind is constructing the
hulls of layers of 1/4 inch marine plywood. The layers would be cut in
wishbone shapes (to make a hollow hull) with the top of the wishbones
being bow-end and the open ends being stern (to be capped later). Each
wishbone would need to be sized such that, when the stack is
constructed, vee-type hull cross section is had.

	Cross		Length

	-     -		--------------
	 -   -		 -------------

The question....

Any ideas on curves I might use to generate these templates? I've done a
search at www.wolfram.com on 'boats' and had no hits. I've not seen any
other question quite like this on the list. Sorry, if I'm too far out of
band. Thanks.
--
Jay Gallivan      |41st Floor		|Voice: (312)683-6386
Technology Manager|181 W. Madison Street|Fax:   (312)683-6474
PaineWebber Inc.  |Chicago, IL 60602	|mailto:jgalliv at painewebber.com