RE: listplot and notebook directory

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15392] RE: [mg15345] listplot and notebook directory
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 03:14:53 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Maarten van der Burgt  wrote:

_________________________

1. LISTPLOT

When I execute the following command the result is a listplot where the
data points ares fairly big filled black circles.
     In[1]:=   ListPlot[{0,2,4,9,16,25},PlotStyle->PointSize[0.05]]

The following gives a plot where the data points are joined by a line.
     In[2]:=   ListPlot[{0,2,4,9,16,25},PlotJoined -> True]

With the following I would expect the combination of the two. It does
however give the same results as In[2]: the
"PlotStyle->PointSize[0.05]" options doesn't seem to have any effect
here.

____________________

I don't if there is a good reason for why it works that way, but I would
get the result you want using the following.

data={0,2,4,9,16,25};
Block[{$DisplayFunction=Identity},
  p1=ListPlot[data,PlotJoined->True];
  p2=ListPlot[data,PlotStyle->PointSize[0.05]] ];
Show[p1,p2];

(* Graphic not shown *)

____________________

2. NOTEBOOK DIRECTORY

Is there a command which gives the directory where the current notebook
resides?

_____________________

The following should do the trick.

In[1]:=
info=NotebookInformation[SelectedNotebook[]] Out[1]=
(* a list of rules not shown. *)

In[2]:=
"FileName"/.info/.FrontEnd`FileName[dir_,FileName_,_]:>dir Out[2]=
(* The directory where the selected notebook was stored. *)

The code above was easy to come up with after reading page 248 of  The
Beginner's Guide to Mathematica Version 3 (by Jerry Glynn & Theodore
Gray)

Chapter 56 of the book discusses a lot of stuff (scarcely anywhere else)
about the FrontEnd and Notebook manipulation.

Cheers,
Ted Ersek