Re: Special characters

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15540] Re: Special characters
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:44:28 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Harry flynn wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if if is possible to input x "double dot" and theta
> "doubledot" (i.e. with the two dots over the letter) in Mathematica.

You need to use an OverscriptBox (see 2.8.10 of the Mathematica book).
If you paste the following cell into a new Notebook you can click on
the links it contains to get to the relevant documentation:

Cell[TextData[{
  "See Section ",
  ButtonBox["2.8.10",
    ButtonData:>{"2.8.10", "10.9"},
    ButtonStyle->"MainBookLink"],
  " of the The ",
  StyleBox["Mathematica",
    FontSlant->"Italic"],
  " Book or ",
  ButtonBox["OverscriptBox",
    ButtonStyle->"RefGuideLink"],
  " in the Reference Guide."
}], "Text"]

> This seems sraightforward when the letter is a, o or u but I cannot find
> a way for the letters previously mentioned.

The reason for this is that these letters are included in ISO Latin-1.

Cheers,
	Paul

The University of Western Australia            Nedlands WA  6907
mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au  AUSTRALIA
http://www.physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player