Re: Save print in textfile

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg15564] Re: [mg15528] Save print in textfile
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:44:44 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

If you must use Print you can do the following. You can open a new
streem with
temp=OpenAppend["textfile.txt"]
You can then append this new streem to the $Output channel with
AppendTo[$Output,temp]
Now whenever you use Print, what you print will be saved in the file
textfile.txt. By default InputForm is used but you can explicitly write
Print[OutputForm["dog"]]
to get dog rather than "dog" in your text file. However, I would never
use this sort of low level stuff, its much too complicated!
 Instead of using  Print["sample: ",name] and so on you can just
evaluate a string, say
v="sample"<>ToString[name]<>"\r"<>"________"<>"conditions:"<>ToString[num
ber] and so on  and save it to a file with  OutputForm[v]>>textfile.txt
(You should combine this with SetDirectory[] if you want to save your
file in a different directory from the one you are working in).

On Mon, Jan 18, 1999, wgrebe <wgrebe at cityweb.de> wrote:

>Hallo,
>
>I want to save the result of a series of Print commands in a textfile.
>For example:
>df=Do[
>Print["sample: ",name];
>Print["___________________________________"]; Print[" conditions: "
>number];
>Print["___________________________________"]; ];
>results in the output:
>
>sample: aab
>___________________________________
>conditions: 34
>___________________________________
>
>This output I want to have in the file "textfile.txt" in the directory
>C:\temp.
>Thank you
>                            Witold
>wgrebe at cityweb.de