Re: Next Version of Mathematica?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg15657] Re: Next Version of Mathematica?
- From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
- Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:28:51 -0500 (EST)
- Organization: University of Western Australia
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Kevin J. McCann wrote: > Also, there was a lot of discussion about a new variable type - > something like a "Packed Number" which allowed for much more efficient > numerical calculations. Does this spell the end for the need for > InterCall? Not quite -- since the main functionality of InterCall is to make it easy to link in external numerical libraries such as NAG and IMSL. Although the new technology makes Mathematica much faster it still will not have specialized code for sparse or band-symmetric matrices, etc, so InterCall (when it is compatible with MathLink) will still have its niche. Cheers, Paul ____________________________________________________________________ Paul Abbott Phone: +61-8-9380-2734 Department of Physics Fax: +61-8-9380-1014 The University of Western Australia Nedlands WA 6907 mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au AUSTRALIA http://www.physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul God IS a weakly left-handed dice player ____________________________________________________________________