Concurrent Curve Fitting...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18562] Concurrent Curve Fitting...
  • From: "Robert Carneim" <rdc120 at psu.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 02:18:52 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Can anyone help me?

Here's what I want to do:

I have two sets of data which are related in such a way that, when plotted,
they should have the same shape (or I want to force the curve fits to have
the same shape), but at a different location.
So, for example (and simplicity} suppose I have two sets of data which can
be fit by lines, y=mx+b. I want to fit data set 1 to (y-y1)=m(x-x1)+b, and
data set 2 to (y-y2)=m(x-x2)+b, where m and b are common and xn and yn are
specific to the data set.
This is a fairly easy to do indirectly, even by hand, but is there a way to
get Mathematica to do this directly, i.e., finding the two curve fits
concurrently? Obviously, I'm trying to do this for much more complex models.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-rdc.