Re: Is there a FAQ? (Clear all)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18723] Re: Is there a FAQ? (Clear all)
  • From: Attico Nicola <attico at cibs.sns.it>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 1999 02:36:42 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 15 Jul 1999, Jos Bergervoet wrote:

> I would like to use a command like 'restart' in Mathematica.
>
> But: neither Restart nor Clear["*"] does what I want (it should be
> as if I quit and restart!) Is there a Mathematica FAQ? Or does anyone
> know how to do a quick restart? The help function on my system seems
> to work with CD roms in the background somewhere. I can't wait for
> that long :-)

Try with the following:

*************************

Mathematica 3.0 for Linux
Copyright 1988-97 Wolfram Research, Inc.
 -- Motif graphics initialized --

In[1]:=
<</usr/local/mathematica/AddOns/ExtraPackages/Utilities/CleanSlate.m

In[2]:= ?CleanSlate
   CleanSlate[] purges all symbols and
   their values in all contexts that have
   been added to the context search path ($ContextPath), since the
   CleanSlate
   package was read in. This includes user-defined symbols (in the Global`
   context) as well as any packages that may have been read in.
   It also
   removes most, but possibly not all, of the additional rules for System
   symbols that these packages may have defined. It also clears the In[]
   and
   Out[] values, and resets the $Line number, so new input begins as
   In[1].CleanSlate["Context1`","Context2`"] purges only the listed
   contexts.

In[3]:= a=1

Out[3]= 1

In[4]:= Print[a]
1

In[5]:= CleanSlate[]
contexts purged: {Global`}

approximate kernel memory recovered: 0 Kb

Out[0]= {CleanSlate`, Global`, System`}

In[1]:= Print[a]

The package should work also if you use version older than 3.0.

Dr. Attico Nicola
Universita' di Pisa
Dipartimento di Fisica
E-Mail:attico at peg2.difi.unipi.it