Re: Re: Slow Version 4 Front End

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18816] Re: [mg18761] Re: Slow Version 4 Front End
  • From: "Ned W. Hummel" <nhummel at math.unl.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:19:31 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

> > Why is the version 4 Front End so abysmally slow in communicating with
> > the kernel? What in the world is consuming this 4+ seconds of overhead on
> > every single thing I evaluate? Are there any options I can set to
> > eliminate these inordinate delays? I know it doesn't have to be so,
> > because version 3 never exhibited this frustrating behavior.

This sounds like a problem that I've been having. This is what I heard
from Wolfram:

We are currently working on a fix to this problem.  The problem resides in
the AppleTalk network.  Their is no exact date when we will have a patch
available.  We will email you as soon as there is a fix.  We apologize for
any inconveniences this problem has caused.

In the meantime, a simple workaround is to disable the AppleTalk network
before you start Mathematica and start a kernel evaluation.  Then enable
the AppleTalk network.  This can all be done through the Control Strip
that comes with 8.5 or through the Chooser.

Ned