Re: HDF export

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18789] Re: HDF export
  • From: paulh at wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:19:16 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7n12q3$bd3 at smc.vnet.net>, "Roberto Abraham" <abraham at ast.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> A central idea behind the HDF format is that the file should be somewhat
> "self documenting" in the sense of possibility including an internal
> description of the nature of the data, or at least through the use of
> sensible keyword names in the data hierarchy to indicate what sort of data
> is being stored.  However, I can't seem to figure out a way to achieve this
> in Mathematica.  Is there a way to export arrays and store them with
> specified names?

Unfortunately, there are no mechanisms in Mathematica's Export[] function
for specifying set names.  You may want to use a tool like NCSA's hdfed to
add the desired set names.

	http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/hdftools.html

> Also, the on-line help for the Export[] function says that HDF format is
> "supported for numerical and textual data" but I can't figure out how to
> export a text string.

If you are working with an eight-bit character encoding, you could transform
the string into an array of characters (e.g. like what is returned by the
built-in Characters[] function) and then write out the array as Byte data
types.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at wolfram.com