FastBinaryFiles again...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18891] FastBinaryFiles again...
  • From: Virgil Stokes <virgil.stokes at neuro.ki.se>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 03:30:20 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have been having problems with the package FastBinaryFiles
in Mathematica 3.0.1.1x on a Windows NT 4.0 platform. It appeared
that the installation went ok; but, I do not believe that it is being used.
That is, BinaryFiles, as supplied with Mathematica is still being
used.

Mathematica was installed in

    E:\MATHEMATICA

MLINK32.DLL  for the FastBinaryFiles package was obtained via

 ftp://ftp.wolfram.com/pub/outgoing/Support/PackageFixes/mlcanon.zip

My installation was as follows:

1. Copied MLINK32.DLL to C:\WINNT\System directory
     (also copied it to C:\WINNT\System32)

2. Created a file MATHLINK.INI with the following in it:

     [MathLinkProtocols]
     protocol0=MLMAP`

     copied this to E:\MATHEMATICA
     (also copied it to C:\WINNT,  C:\ WINNT\System, and C:\WINNT\System32)

3. Copied BINARY30.EXE to E:\MATHEMATICA and renamed it
     to BINARY.EXE (BINARY30.EXE was in the BINARY.ZIP
   file -- FastBinaryFiles package).

4. From the Mathematica kernel, I executed

  Install["binary",LinkMode->Launch, LinkProtocol->"filemap"]

and I got a LinkObject back -- according to the installation
instructions this seemed to be correct.

However, I am now rather sure that FastBinaryFiles is not being used
since some of the options unique to FastBinaryFiles are not available.

Some questions not addressed in the installations instructions
for Windows NT 4.0 are:

 1. Where should the MathLink.ini file be placed?
 2. How does one load FastBinaryFiles into a notebook?
 3. How to test that FastBinaryFiles is being used?

-- Virgil