Re:Exporting PRINT results from Mathematica to other applications

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18878] Re:Exporting PRINT results from Mathematica to other applications
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 03:30:12 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 23 Jul 1999 hanssen at zeiss.de wrote:

> Manipulating
>
>      Cell -> Default Output Format Type -> InputForm
>
> has the disadvantage, that strings appear in quotation marks.

I blundered here.  That should have been OutputForm rather than InputForm.

> BTW, setting it to anything but StandardForm has the side effect, that
> the order of printing and plotting is disturbed: all subsequent
> Print's go to one cell and Plots below that.

> Your second hint, automaticly to convert all print output to String and join
> them all together, works fine. Is there any objection against putting your
> override function for Print to
>
>      ...AddOns\Autoload\Init.m ?

The Autoload directory is intended to be used for configuring the kernel
to automatically load certain packages when functions are called.

A more appropriate location would be your private Kernel init.m file.
If you don't have one, you can do the following.

1) Evaluate the following expression in a notebook:

ToFileName[{$PreferencesDirectory, "Kernel"}]

Create a folder with this path.

2) Open your favorite text editor and paste the definitions that you want
to be evaluated at start up.  Save the file in plain text format as
init.m.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com