compiling problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18933] compiling problem
  • From: kiran at london.physics.purdue.edu (Kiran L. Shrestha)
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:17:30 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello everybody,

Can anybody teach me how to compile a function of several variables which
are values of other functions. For example, I have a function

f[x_, y_]:= alpha[x] + alpha[y] - beta[x]/beta[y].

The alpha and beta function values are known. The reason I need to compile
this function is because I have to iterate this illustrative function many
many times. Each iteration helps to update the functions alpha and beta.
A typical computation, involving in the order of 50 iterations, takes
several (4-5!) hours in PowerMac 7200/120 (Mathematica version 3.0) (Student
version). I believe that compiling can reduce the time considerably. [The
above was just a toy example of the actual functions involved.]

How can I compile a function like the above? Thank you.

Kiran Shrestha
PhD student
Physics Department
Purdue University