Re: saving a list.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18965] Re: saving a list.
  • From: "David Keith" <dkeith at sarif.com>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 01:33:52 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Dave,

This is a function I for myself. Its complication comes from the fact that I
wanted it to handle arrays of dimension>2 as well.

In[1]:=
writeArray[filename_, arrayname_] := Module[{makeStringList, outfile},
  outfile = OpenWrite[filename];
  makeDepth3[lst_] :=
      Module[{x}, x = lst; While[Depth[x] < 3, x = {x}];
        While[Depth[x] > 3, x = Flatten[x, 1]]; x];
  makeStringList[lst_] :=
      Flatten[{Drop[
            Flatten[Transpose[{Map[ToString, lst],
                  Table[" ", {Length[lst]}]}]], -1], {"\n"}}];
  Scan[WriteString[outfile, Sequence @@ makeStringList[#]] &,
      makeDepth3[arrayname], {1}]; Close[outfile]
]

In[2]:=
a = Table[i j, {i, 4}, {j, 2}]

Out[2]=