Re: v4.0 bug???

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18942] Re: v4.0 bug???
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 01:33:38 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 27 Jul 1999, Radical wrote:

> I 've been having some trouble with Mathematica 4.0.  I just installed
> this thing yesterday (sucessfully-- according to the mathematica
> installer) but could not run it.  When I start mathematica.exe, the
> welcome screen would load but then... NOTHING!  Nothing happened after
> that.  The mathematica title bar and welcome screen were then closed and
> you couldn't see a trace of them.  I couldn't even run it off the CD!
> (even though the installation and running off CD was sucessful for
> another machine).
>
> Is the remains of mathematica 3.0 causing this?  I thought I had
> expelled the last trace of that program.  Has anyone seen this befeore?
> Please help.

There isn't enough information here to determine what may be at the source
of the problem.  You may want to post the following information to this
forum:

1) Brief description of your computing environment (e.g. CPU model, OS
version, memory).

2) During the startup process, there should be a startup screen.  On
Windows and MacOS, the screen is a centered splash window.  Under X
Window, the startup appears in the lower left hand corner of the screen.
This title screen should display a small line of text that indicates what
stage of the startup process is in progress.  What line do you see just
before the program exits?

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com