Re: 4.0 Help Browser

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18139] Re: 4.0 Help Browser
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 00:51:42 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Ted,

I strongly disagree that the Notation package is so important.
It may be nice for student instructions and for some new
users. But the most mysteries of Mathematica base on information
that is only shown by FullForm[] but not shown in the usual
StandardForm[].

It should be never a part of the kernel because it can be only used with
the FrontEnd. There are numerous memory expensive tasks where it is
better
not to waste memory with the FontEnd and to run the kernel alone.

Regards
  Jens

"Ersek, Ted R" wrote:

> With Mathematica 3.0 and 4.0 the all important (Utilities`Notation`) package
> is documented in the Help Browser.
> It's in the same place in 3.0 and 4.0, but for those who don't know this is
> where you find it:
>    Goto the Help Browser and select Getting Started/Demos.
>    Scroll to the bottom of the left column and select  (Demos > New
> Notations)
>
> This package is so important it could be part of the kernel.  OK maybe it
> isn't reliable enough to be included in the kernel.  Well they could at
> least make it part of the Standard Packages.  That way a new user would have
> a better chance of finding it.

--- SNIP SNAPP SNIPP SNAPP ---