V4.0 -- screen graphics update problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18083] V4.0 -- screen graphics update problems
  • From: "David Keith" <dkeith at sarif.com>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 01:43:38 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Tue Jun 15 05:37:23 1999
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am running V4.0 on a PII/400 NT4.0/SP3 with 128MBytes RAM.

With V3.0.1, once graphics had been rendered to the screen it was very easy
to scroll up and down. For example, by grabbing the slider in the scroll bar
I could scan rapidly up and down a notebook to review my work.

With 4.0, the scrolling frequently pauses, sticking the screen for a
fraction of a second while a graphics which was previously off screen gets
re-drawn rather than just sliding into view. Often it appears to display the
graphics in its new screen position before erasing it from the old one. (I
am not saying it is being re-rendered --- I don't really know what's going
on.) This makes the process of reviewing the graphs in a notebook very
clumsy.

Also. I have noticed that with output cells displaying expressions in a
typeset form, a part of the of the cell -- usually the bottom part --
sometimes disappears as though a part of the screen bitmap was not updated
properly. Sometimes it reappears when it's scrolled off the display and then
back on, but most of the time the input needs to be re-evaluated to correct
the problem.

Any ideas?