Re: Formatting of Equations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18064] Re: Formatting of Equations
  • From: paulh (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 01:43:25 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Tue Jun 15 07:35:30 1999
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7juab1$567 at smc.vnet.net>, Brian Higgins <bghiggins at ucdavis.edu> writes:

> I have an annoying problem regarding formatting equation in a notebook
> that perhaps someone can advise me on. When  I type an equation such as
> "del dot v" with an underscore for "v". Then after I save the notebook
> and reopen it the underscore is now over the "dot" as well. Here are the
> actual cell details(shown for Input Cells though it happens with inline
> equations as well):
> Before Saving the notebook:
>
> Cell[BoxData[
>     RowBox[{
>       RowBox[{"\[Del]",
>         RowBox[{"\[CenterDot]",
>           UnderscriptBox["v", "_"]}]}], "=", "0"}]], "Input"]
>
> After saving the notebook:
>
> Cell[BoxData[
>     RowBox[{
>       RowBox[{"\[Del]",
>         UnderscriptBox[
>           RowBox[{"\[CenterDot]", "v"}], "_"]}], "=", "0"}]],
>   "Input"]
>
> Anyone got any ideas how to resolve this pesky problem?

Paste this expression into a notebook and evaluate it.

SetOptions[
  $FrontEnd,
  PrivateNotebookOptions->{"ShortBoxForm"->False}
]

It will tell the front end to save out notebooks using the FullForm
box structures rather than the abbreviated linear syntax.  The tradeoff
is that your notebooks will require more disk space to save, but at least
this will protect you from any trip-ups that may arise from the front end's
use of linear syntax.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at wolfram.com