phasing out support for older versions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18238] phasing out support for older versions
  • From: "Atul Sharma" <mdsa at musica.mcgill.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:24:20 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

As a licensed user of v 3.01, I was about to order the upgrade to 4.0 when I
read this post. Though I have had nothing but good things to say about
Mathematica technical support and software, the notion of abandoning support
for older versions strikes me as unfair to legitimate users who are getting
along fine with older hardware and software, with no pressing need to
upgrade either. While probably a numerically small group, they purchased the
software in good faith, which isn't being reciprocated here. While I
recognize this is the prevailing paradigm in the software industry, I had
thought WRI was a classier act and am disappointed to read otherwise.
Customer loyalty, afterall, has to be earned.

A. Sharma MD