HOW BEST for figs: Mathematica -> Textures -> PDF ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg18380] HOW BEST for figs: Mathematica -> Textures -> PDF ?
  • From: campbell at beloit.edu (Paul J. Campbell)
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 14:13:37 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I want to incorporate Mathematica figures into a Textures document on a
Macintosh and then converted the document to PDF using Acrobat Distiller.

I've tried several approaches but somehow I can't get the settings right
for getting a high-quality graphic out of Mathematica.

Using Copy As PICT or Copy As Bitmap PICT works but produces too low a
resolution.

Using Copy As PICT with Embedded PostScript can fail, because the graphic
produced by Mathematica may contain (for Courier) instances of \015, which
produces PostScript errors. Removing the offending \015's by hand from the
PS file results in a PDF file with black-filled rectangles for the figures
(the same as when a PICT with embedded PostScript is copied to MS Word and
printed from that).

Using Print Selection to produce an EPS file, and setting the print dialog
to incorporate a PICT preview and produce PS Level 1, produces no preview
plus can produce PS errors on some printers (e.g., to a LaserWriter IINT)
but not others (newer LaserWriters, or GhostScript 5.50).

Equipment: Power Macintosh G3 (beige), OS 8.6, LaserWriter 8 file 8.6.5
(but I've tried earlier ones too without success), Textures 1.8,  Acrobat
Distiller 3.0, Adobe Reader (all versions).

I am thankful for any suggestions. Please copy reply directly to me at
campbell at beloit.edu, as I don't regularly read this group.