Re: Appearance in MacOS 8.5

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16165] Re: Appearance in MacOS 8.5
  • From: "Joshua A. Solomon" <j.solomon at ucl.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 01:13:13 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>From: Selwyn Hollis <shollis at peachnet.campuscwix.net>
>To: comp-soft-sys-math-mathematica at moderators.uu.net
>Newsgroups: comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica
>Subject: [mg16165] Re: Appearance in MacOS 8.5
>Date: Sat, Feb 27, 1999, 5:00 pm
>

> "Joshua A. Solomon" wrote:
>
>> The webpage
>> http://www.wolfram.com/support/Systems/Macintosh/FE/AppearancePatch.html
>> describes a bug in MacOS that affects Mathematica.
>> I first encountered this bug when I upgraded to MacOS 8.0.
>> The aforementioned webpage also describes a remedy for this bug:
>> a patch for the Appearance Extension.
>> When I upgraded to MacOS 8.5, the Appearance Extension
>> disappeared from my Extensions folder and the bug returned.
>> I downloaded the patch again from Wolfram's website, along
>> with the extension. I placed the extension in the Extensions
>> folder, applied the patch and restarted my Mac. The bug is still there.
>
> The Appearance extension patch will not work on the Appearance Extension
> included with Mac OS 8.5. (See
> http://www.wolfram.com/support/Systems/Macintosh/FE/AppearancePatch.html)
> If you're saying that you replaced the OS 8.5 Appearance Extension with the
> one from OS 8.0, I'm surprised that your Mac works at all!

Immediately after I upgraded to MacOS 8.5, there was no Appearance Extension
anywhere on my machine. (This begs the question, "where is the
Appearance Extension that Wolfram's website claims was released with
OS 8.5?") As I wrote in my original message,
I downloaded the Appearance Extension (v 1.0.2) from Wolfram's website,
applied the patch and restarted my Mac. Appearance Extension 1.0.2 is
still in my Extensions folder. My Mac works fine, except for this
conflict with Mathematica.

> BTW, if you haven't already done so, you should have a look at the OS
> 8.5-related stuff at http://www.wolfram.com/support/Systems/Macintosh/FE/

I have. Paradoxically, I'm concerned that I have problems with neither
printing nor missing fonts.

Finally, I'm somewhat confused by your response.
Do you or do you not suffer from the same Mathematica/OS 8.5 conflict?

js
--
Joshua A. Solomon
Institute of Ophthalmology