Most efficient method of simplifying

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16187] Most efficient method of simplifying
  • From: "Greg Arnold" <Gregory.Arnold at sensors.wpafb.af.mil>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 01:13:24 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello all:

I realize this is not a well defined questions, but I'm working with some
fairly nasty ratios of functions (generally ratios of polynomials, but not
always).  At several points I do some substitutions and then I want to
simplify the result such that (1) all variables are removed (cancelled) that
can be, and (2) the result simplifies to zero if appropriate.

"Simplify" is the obvious choice, but I've had many cases where simplify did
not cancel and/or find the zero solution.  So, I could use FullSimplify, but
both versions can take days to run.  All I really need is to "expand", but
again there are cases where expand doesn't cancel and/or produce the zero
result.  "ExpandAll" can make even the simpliest expression exremely
complicated.

So, I'm looking for any advice others may have for more efficient ways of
doing Simplify[ Expand[ ]].  As I said, this is not a well defined question
& I suppose the ultimate answer is to use FullSimplify and buy the largest
computer available.

Thanks,

Greg