Re: Mathematica on Alternative OSs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16204] Re: Mathematica on Alternative OSs
  • From: Harald Giese <giese at dkrz.de>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 00:40:40 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Ski100 wrote:

> I was wondering if anybody has some idea about the likelihood of Wolfram
> providing Mathematica for other OSs. I really like BeOS and I run Linux on PPC
> machines. It would be great if I could combine my favorite software with my
> favorite OS and favorite hardware.

Hi Jon,

As a matter of fact, there _is_ a Mathematica version for Linux.
On the other hand: A reliable version of BeOS has just been released -
quite early to invest in writing software for it, isn't it?
The sceenshots of BeOS look really nice and its "internals" seem to be
up-to-date (contrary to the current MacOS). I would give it a try, if
there were a Mathematica version. However, Wolfram will see it just the
other way round.

Regards,
Harald

--
Harald Giese
Email: giese at dkrz.de
Phone: +49 (0)40 4123 5796; Fax: +49 (0)40 5605724
Institut fuer Meereskunde der Universitaet Hamburg
(Institute of Oceanography of the University of Hamburg)
Troplowitzstrasse 7, D-22529 Hamburg