Re: Vector Field

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16196] Re: Vector Field
  • From: Martin Kraus <mkraus at theorie3.physik.uni-erlangen.de>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 00:40:36 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Luke wrote:

> I am trying to create a picture of a sphere with Normal vectors on the
> surface to demonstrate the Divergence Theorum. I am quite new to Mathematica
> and I was wondering if it could be done.
>
> I have created the sphere using:
>
> ParametricPlot3D[{Sin[x]*Cos[y],Sin[x]*Sin[y],Cos[x]},{x,0,Pi},{y,0,2*Pi}]
>
> I am hoping to be able to use PlotVectorField3D to create a vector field and
> overlay in on the image using Photoshop where I could remove the vector
> which should not be in view. I'm not sure how to plot the field desired.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Luke

I am not sure whether I understood your problem. Using Photoshop seems
to be unnecessary in this case.
One method of combining vectors with a sphere is presented here:

http://theorie3.physik.uni-erlangen.de/~mkraus/tutorial/tutorial4_3.html

(You need a Java enabled browser; and might have to reload the page.)

Greetings

Martin Kraus