Re: Multiplying a constant to a matrix column

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16289] Re: Multiplying a constant to a matrix column
  • From: Harald Giese <giese at dkrz.de>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 01:05:28 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hyo Ahn wrote:
> I would like to multiply a constant number to a given column of an existing
> matrix in Mathematica and I am having a hard time.

Hi,

If matrix A has dimensions {n,m} and vector b has dimension {m},
then C = Transpose[A]*b does the job, giving a {m,n} matrix.

Regards,
Harald

--
Harald Giese
Email: giese at dkrz.de
Phone: +49 (0)40 4123 5796; Fax: +49 (0)40 5605724
Institut fuer Meereskunde der Universitaet Hamburg
(Institute of Oceanography of the University of Hamburg)
Troplowitzstrasse 7, D-22529 Hamburg