RE: Re: Re: integration problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16373] RE: [mg16319] Re: [mg16264] Re: integration problem
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 02:16:45 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

-----------------------------------
Mathematica can actually compute this integral, and even gets the right
answer, provided the package <<Calculus`Limit` is loaded.

In[2]:=
<<Calculus`Limit`

In[3]:=
FullSimplify[Integrate[1/(2*x + Sqrt[3*x + 1]), {x, 0, 1}]]
Out[3]=
       2 3/5
Log[2 (-)   ]
       3

However, unless the Limit package is loaded Mathematica can't calsulate
the limit of this last expre4ssion as x->1. It is usually a good idea to
load in the Limit package in such type of situation.

There are a number of cases where the Limit package gives the wrong answer.
I think you still have to proceed with caution.  I would only try the
approach above if I wasn't satisfied with the result when I didn't use the
Limit package.

Regards,
Ted Ersek