estimating parameters for diffeq model

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16390] estimating parameters for diffeq model
  • From: "Manuel A. Morales" <mam94006 at uconnvm.uconn.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 02:16:55 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Imagine the simple growth model x't = a x[t]  (1 - c x[t]). Say I have
ten experimental values at time t=0 and t = 10. How can I estimate the
value of "a" and "c" using FindMinimum or some other means. I have
looked at the FAQ, "How can I fit data to a model that is defined using
NDSolve"
(http://www.wolfram.com/support/Math/Statistics/NDSolveFit.html) but
this doesn't seem to apply, since it describes the case where data is
collected at various time points for a single replicate rather than at
identical time points for many replicates. BTW, I have to use NDSolve
for my model.

Thanks in advance,
Manuel Morales