Problem: Smallest sphere including all 3D points

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16471] Problem: Smallest sphere including all 3D points
  • From: "Barthelet, Luc" <lucb at ea.com>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 02:22:06 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I was just asked by a friend how to find the smallest sphere that
 would include all points from a set of 3D points.
It feels like finding a 3D convex hull and then finding the best sphere (??)
I would appreciate any complete solution or best set of pointers...

	 	Thank you,

	 	Luc Barthelet
	 	General manager, Maxis
	 	http://www.simcity.com <http://www.simcity.com>  (we are