Precision graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16505] Precision graphics
  • From: Virgil Stokes <virgil.stokes at neuro.ki.se>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 03:59:52 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I would like to know how to control, with precision, the
placement of graphical output within a notebook.

It seems that Mathematica has many defaults built-in
for the layout of graphical objects in notebooks.
These usually are quite good; however, sometimes
it would be useful to know how to override these
defaults.

For example, suppose I have a long  "PlotLabel" with
a long "AxesLabel" (on the vertical axis) then this
can cause these labels to be superimposed on each
other -- not very nice to look at.
Also, the length of the AxesLabel can effect the size of
the data plot display region; i.e. the larger the vertical axis
label the smaller the actual data plot.
Often one would like to align vertically several plots
and this can be quite tedious when sizes of the
plots are changed automatically.

How can one control, precisely, the placement of
graphical objects within a notebook? It would be
nice to have some LaTex-type placement commands.

-- V. Stokes