3D rotation for Orbit 3D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16685] 3D rotation for Orbit 3D
  • From: Graham First <firstg at home.com>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 02:08:59 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am working on a 3D orbit simulator in c++ which is quickly approaching
a simple game.  It involves a bunch of "planet" objects whose relative
positions are determined using the x, y, z position and x, y, z viewing
angles of the viewer.
Each planet's relative position is moved x, y and z and then rotated x,
y and z.
The problem comes when the viewer's angle is at (0, [non zero], 0) and
the command comes in to rotate on the x-axis (of the view, not
absolute).  Basically, I need to be able to turn y rotation followed by
x rotation into x, y and then z rotation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)