Re: Plotting Points

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16680] Re: Plotting Points
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 02:08:56 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Ed McBride wrote in message <7ct1l3$828 at smc.vnet.net>...
>I have a bunch of points I want to plot, and am using ListPlot.  I'm
>willing to let Mathematica determine where the axes cross, but I need
>the x and y scales to be the same, so that distances on the plot are
>relatively correct. Is there a way to force Mathematica to make both
>scales the same? Thanks,
>Ed McBride, P.E.

Ed,

With

data = Table[Random[Integer,{2,9}],{10},{2}]

Get axes scales the same by using AspectRatio -> Automatic:

gr = ListPlot[data,
        AspectRatio->Automatic,
        PlotRange-> All,
        PlotStyle->PointSize[.02]
      ]

The following puts the axes origin for where we want for anyl Graphics
objects.
(from my column  How and Why?, Mathematica in Education and Research, Volume
7, No 4, Fall, 1998)

AxesAndOrigin[gr_, origin_]:=
     Show[gr,
         AxesOrigin ->origin,