Help Defining Variables (with long names)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16720] Help Defining Variables (with long names)
  • From: gutierrez_fam at geocities.com (Gutierrez Family)
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:33:43 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello to all.

I'm new to Mathematica and have a very basic question (one that I
haven't found an answer to using the online help - I'm probably
looking
in the wrong place).

What is the best way to declare variable with a 'long name'?  I am
currently using the underscore to separate the words.  For example:

liquid_density_of_ethylene_glycol=1.114

Unfortunately, I run into trouble when performing basic arithmetic.
For

example, if I multiply '4*liquid_density_of_ethylene_glycol', I expect
to get 4.456.  Instead I get '4_ethylene_glycol_of liquid_density'.
This is after receiving 'Set::write : Tag Times in _ethylene_glycol_of
liquid_density is Protected.'.

Can someone please advise?  Thank you very much for your time.

-- Daly Gutierrez