Re: Exporting 3d-Plots to rendering system

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17730] Re: [mg17627] Exporting 3d-Plots to rendering system
  • From: "Tomas Garza" <tgarza at mail.internet.com.mx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 02:15:14 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dr. Stefan R. Mayer [srmayer at risklab.de] wrote:

> For getting 3d-Plots into rendering/3D-systems, I am looking for a way to
> export Mathematica-3D-objects (e.g. generated by Plot3D) as a
> list of single
> points resp. a list of vectors.
>
> Is there a way to do that?

Hello, Stefan!

A simple approach: Take a look at FullForm of your Plot3D. You'll get a list
of lists, which are the plotpoints on a 2-dimensional region. You may then
copy them directly for use within Mathematica or export them for use with
other application. E.g., try

In[1]:=
a=Plot3D[Sin[x+y],{x,0,2 Pi},{y,0,2 Pi}]

Then

In[2]:=
FullForm[a]

gives you a SurfaceGraphics object with the plotpoints and the options. You
may then extract the plotpoint values with copy-and-paste (or,
alternatively, use Cases[a,_List][[1]]). For export purposes you may take a
look at [mg 17709] in this mathgroup.

Hope this helps.

Tomas Garza
Mexico City