Re: RasterArray doesn't work

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg20655] Re: RasterArray doesn't work
  • From: paulh at monon.wolfram.com (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 02:09:57 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <7vrcpk$2od at smc.vnet.net>, tdelling at ews.uiuc.edu (Tim Dellinger) writes:

>  When I try to show a RasterArray that is, for instance, 2 by 50,
>this nice "beep" happens, and asking Why The Beep? gives the
>answer "There was an error in the PostScript code of the last
>PostScript cell displayed".  Needless to say, there's no picture.
>
> I little monkeying around, and I figured out that RasterArray works
>for a 4 by 10 matrix, but not a 3 by 10.  Oddly enough, a 10 by 3 works,
>as does a 30 by 100.
>
>In[65]:=
>$Version
>
>Out[65]=
>"Solaris 3.0 (August 21, 1997)"
>
>Similar problems on HP machines.
>No such problems on Windows 95 machines.
>
>Why is RasterArray broken?
>Is there a workaround?

There is a strong likelihood that the problem you're encountering
has absolutely nothing to do with RasterArray[].  Graphics primitives
are just ways of representing geometric objects.  When you invoke
Show[] on a graphics object, the kernel converts the graphics
object into a PostScript representation.  The front end then
interprets the PostScript and creates an image from it.  The kernel
code used to generate PostScript is pretty much the same on all
platforms.  If the interpretation fails on X front ends but not
on Windows front ends, then the problem is most likely rooted in
the front end's PostScript interpreter.

One thing you can do to verify this is to use the Display[] function
to generate EPS versions based on the original PostScript.  If the
Unix-generated EPS files load fine into a third party previewer like
Ghostview or gv, then the bug is in the front end.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com
Wolfram Research, Inc.