How to get the pdf of a complex variable?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg20707] How to get the pdf of a complex variable?
- From: Cheng Lee Lung <eeacheng at cityu.edu.hk>
- Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 02:48:49 -0500
- Organization: City University of Hong Kong
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Dear All, I wish to use Mathematica to find the pdf of a complex variable. For a real no. is very easily but when I try to solve the complex no., I could not get the result as I expected. The way I get the pdf of the real no. is straight forward. It is shown as below. In:= <<Statistics`NormalDistribution` In:= ndist = NormalDistribution[m, \[Sigma]] Out= NormalDistribution[m,\[Sigma]] In:= xnorm=PDF[ndist,x] Out= \!\(E\^\(-\(\((\(-m\) + x)\)\^2\/\(2\ \[Sigma]\^2\)\)\)\/\(\ at \(2\ \[Pi]\)\ \[Sigma]\)\) x above is a real no. If z is a complex no. The pdf of the complex no. should come out like this, \!\(znorm = \ E\^\(-\(\((\(-m\) + z)\)\^2\/\(2\ \[Sigma]\^2\)\)\)\/\(\ \[Pi]\ \[Sigma]\^2\)\) How can I get this result with Mathematica? Please advice. Thanks for your help. Best regards, Anthony Cheng EE dept. of City University of Hong Kong. email : eeacheng at cityu.edu.hk phone : 852-27887755 fax : 852-27887791